So what do you do with leftover pie crust? Make another pie, of course! I am lucky enough to live near an ice cream shop that uses coconut cream as a base. They cream their own coconuts and sell the cream in a jar. This has inspired me to use coconut in a ton of new ways, including this awesome coconut cream pie, topped with toasted coconut, almonds and homemade chocolate shavings. But have no fear! If you don’t live near a coconut ice cream shop, coconut milk works just fine. Peep the recipe below.
(Makes 2 mini pies or 1 very high stacked mini pie. Feeds 4-6 people)
- 1/4 c. cashews
- 1/4 c. almonds
- 1 tbsp. coconut flour
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 tbsp. shredded coconut (optional)
- 4-5 pitted medjool dates
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- a pinch of sea salt
- 1 refrigerated can of full fat coconut milk (must be full fat)
- 2 tbsp. coconut butter
- 1 tbsp. coconut flour (optional)
- 1 tbsp. arrowroot powder or corn starch (also optional)
- 1-2 tbsp. honey (or maple syrup for vegan option)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/4 c. shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1-2 tbsp sliced almonds
- 2-3 tbsp. unsweetened coconut
- dark chocolate bar cut into small pieces or 3 ingredient homemade chocolate (see recipe below)
Make the pie crust:
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor until a dough-like ball starts to form and continue around the blade several times.
- Press the crust into a miniature pie or tart tin. (You can also use muffin tins and make coconut cream pie bites).
- Place in the refrigerator.
Make the coconut filling:
- Refrigerate the can of coconut milk overnight.
- Open up the can of coconut milk and use a spoon to scoop out the cream that has settled at the top of the can. (Set aside watery part for a smoothie).
- Combine all other ingredients except shredded coconut in a bowl and beat with a mixer until it has reached a fluffy consistency.
- Fold in shredded coconut.
- Pour coconut filling over pie crust.
- Put in the refrigerator.
Top it off:
- Heat a small pan and toss shredded coconut and sliced almonds in pan, stirring often, until golden brown. (4-5 minutes)
- Cut very small pieces of your favorite dark chocolate bar or of homemade chocolate using recipe from below.
- Top the pie with this mixture.
3 ingredient dark chocolate
The best thing about this chocolate is that you can add whatever ingredient you want. Add almonds, chile, ginger, coconut, macadamia nuts, etc. Below is the basic recipe.
- 4 tbsp. cacao butter, melted (You can find this at natural foods stores or on amazon)
- 1/4 c. cacao powder
- 1-2 tbsp. honey
- 1 tsp. mesquite powder (optional)
- a pinch of sea salt
- Melt the cacao butter in a double boiler or in the microwave in 30 second increments.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the bowl of melted cacao butter and mix until smooth.
- Pour into a small glass or ceramic dish and refrigerate until chocolate is set.
- Cut into squares, chunks, shavings etc. and add to your favorite dessert or eat as is.
[contact-form-7 404 "Not Found"]