Last week I was halfway around the world in Dubai where temperatures reached the mid 40’s every day. That’s Celcius, people! Nothing made me want an ice cream cone so badly. Much to my dismay, I found lots of froyo joints, but ice cream parlors were few and far between. When I did stumble upon a Cold Stone, I was far too full from one of our many all you can eat buffets. When I came home I decided that an ice cream cone and a walk around the block was in order, so went down the street to a Cali based ice cream shop and ordered what I had been craving, my very own ice cream. It was delicious! And then I woke up the next morning with horrible stomach pain and some not so pleasant lactose-intolerant symptoms. Since a world without ice cream is no such world at all, I wanted to have a pain-free ice cream experience.
And so continues my coconut obsession. I wanted to create a healthier alternative to an almond joy ice cream that I love from a local ice cream shop in my hometown. I almost always have frozen coconut cubes on hand for whipping up some healthy & filling ice cream. I made this on a Sunday afternoon and was immediately asked to make a second batch. Of course I gladly obliged. The coconut cream is what gives it its creamy and rich texture. Concerned about calories? Scoop yourself a smaller portion. Yeah, right!
Ice cream ingredients (Serves 3-4)
- 1/2 can coconut cream (frozen in ice cube trays)
- 1 small frozen banana or 1/2 frozen banana
- Scant 1/4 c. shredded coconut.
- Handful of almonds
- 1/2 tsp. almond extract
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2 ice cubes (optional)
- 2 tbsp. slivered almonds
- 2 tbsp. unsweetened shredded coconut or coconut chips
Chocolate drizzle sauce
- 1/4 c. cacao powder
- 1/4 c. coconut oil (melted)
- 1 tbsp. liquid sweetener
- 1 tbsp. mesquite powder (optional)
Ice cream instructions
- Freeze coconut cream in ice cube trays for easy pop-out use. (This must be done the day before or hours beforehand)
- In a small pan, toss 2 tbsp. shredded coconut with 2 tbsp. slivered almonds over low heat, stirring frequently, until golden brown. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine ingredients for chocolate drizzle and combine until smooth. Set aside.
- Pop out 5-6 coconut cream cubes from your tray and add to high-speed blender.
- Add rest of ingredients to your blender.
- Blend all ingredients on high for approximately 1 minute, using the tamper (if you have one) until creamy consistency is reached.
- Scoop into a bowl and top with toasted almonds and coconut & drizzle chocolate sauce over ice cream with a spoon.
*If you do not have a high speed blender, mix all ice cream ingredients together in a blender or food processor WITHOUT freezing them first. Empty into a glass container and put in freezer, stirring every 30 minutes until frozen, creamy consistency is reached OR put all ingredients into your ice cream maker and let the magic happen.
**Only make the chocolate drizzle before using it as a topping. It will harden if left out. In that case, pop it in the microwave for 10 second intervals.