Do you believe in having too much of a good thing? Me neither! I am desperately hanging on to the last threads of summer as I start my transition back into another school year. Summer is what dreams are made of. Long, hot days; the beach; riding bikes; eating ice cream; books, late nights, outdoor movies & concerts, picnics & grilling out with friends. Hosting a small BBQ dinner with some friends was my ideal way to end my summer and kick of the new year. Since it was a Sunday, I spent some time shopping at the farmers market (of course) for some fresh ingredients. Just a wee basket of beets, carrots, avocado, tomatoes, potatoes, arugula, figs, goat cheese & walnuts later (and maybe an episode or two of True Detective), I was ready to make my dinner.
First round: Arugula, fig, walnut & goat cheese salad with balsamic vinegar.
Main dish: Beet black bean burgers
Side dish: Potato “grillies” (my sub for french fries)
Sweet a$$ dessert: Grilled summer peach cobbler (recipe coming soon!)
My friends who are total meat lovers ended up going back for seconds on the burger, even ditching the bun. Spending a night preparing a great dinner to share with friends and hanging out on the patio definitely made for an easier transition into a round of in-service meetings, back to school picnics, parent nights, lesson plans, and eventually, full days of teaching.
- 3 medium beets, washed and peeled
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 1/2 c. cooked black beans or 1 can rinsed black beans
- 1/2 c. (certified gluten-free) rolled oats
- 1/2 c. sunflower seeds
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 spring onions or 1/2 chopped small white onion
- 2 tbsp. flax seed
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. oat flour (almond flour will also work)
- 2 tbsp. chopped rosemary
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne
- 1/2 tsp. ground turmeric
- Pretzel bun, your favorite bun, or not lovin’ the bun? Put it on top of some salad greens for a gluten & wheat-free option.
- Chop the beets into quarters and chop in food processor until grated.
- Add carrots to processor and chop until grated. Add mixture to a large bowl and set aside.
- In the food processor, add black beans & oats and pulse until all ingredients are well combined.
- Add in all ingredients from sunflower seeds to flax seed and run processor on high until mixture is well combined.
- Combine black bean mixture with beet and carrot mixture in large bowl adding the 2 tbsp of olive oil and mix with fork.
- Add in rest of herbs & spices and mix well with fork.
- Get a handful of the mixture and form into patty shapes in the palm of your hand. When patties are formed, put on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Place in the freezer for 5-10 minutes to firm up.
- Grill on medium heat 4-5 minutes each side OR heat coconut oil in pan on medium heat and cook 4-5 minutes each side.
- Top with the fixins of your choice. I used avocado & heirloom tomatoes, which complimented the smokiness purrrrfectly.